Five Points was one of Birmingham's first streetcar suburbs. Settled in the 1880's, in 1887 it was incorporated as the Town of Highland, a separate community. In 1893 Highland became part of the City of Birmingham.
Avondale was a company town built around the Avondale Mills east of Birmingham in Jefferson County. The town was incorporated on March 18, 1887. The city was annexed into Birmingham and is now divided into three separate neighborhoods, North Avondale, East Avondale and South Avondale.